Respond to the following questions.
- Can you remember when you last copied, downloaded, or shared some type of creative work?
- Can you think of a time when you used someone else’s work in something you made?
Listen for the following key terms while you watch the video.
Piracy: Stealing copyrighted work by downloading or copying it in order to keep, sell, or give it away without permission and without paying.
Plagiarize: Copying, “lifting,” or making slight changes to some or all of someone else’s work and saying you created it.
Acknowledge: Giving credit to the work you have used.
Answer the following questions after watching the video.
- What are Henry’s rights as a creator?
- What are Henry’s responsibilities in using other people’s creative work?
- Henry says that pirating material is stealing, no matter how it’s done. What are examples of pirating? Why should you avoid it?
- Henry likes to make mash-ups and remixes and put them online. What does he need to do to make this “fair use”?